- to act in accordance or harmony; comply (usually followed by to): to conform to rules.
- to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of society or a group: One has to conform in order to succeed in this company.
- to be or become similar in form, nature, or character.
- to be in harmony or accord.
- to comply with the usages of an established church, especially the Church of England.
- to make similar in form, nature, or character.
- to bring into agreement, correspondence, or harmony.
- Archaic. conformable.
Origin of conform
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for nonconforming
The conforming and nonconforming priests were disputing the altars.History of the Girondists, Volume I
Alphonse de Lamartine
Besides, I am told that she belongs to the Nonconforming order of pious people.
I am as sober as the Nonconforming parson of the church that Miss Castlemaine attends.
The Nonconforming vicar of the church appointed a Nonconforming preacher to the Episcopal chapel.Historic Sites of Lancashire and Cheshire
It is the only case in a Nonconforming place we have yet had to notice in which there is a weekly celebration.The Church Index
- (intr usually foll by to) to comply in actions, behaviour, etc, with accepted standards or norms
- (intr usually foll by with) to be in accordance; fit inhe conforms with my idea of a teacher
- to make or become similar in character or form
- (intr) to comply with the practices of an established church, esp the Church of England
- (tr) to bring (oneself, ideas, etc) into harmony or agreement
Word Origin and History for nonconforming
mid-14c., confourmen, from Old French conformer "conform (to), agree (to), make or be similar, be agreeable" (13c.), from Latin conformare "to fashion, to form, to shape; educate; modify," from com- "together" (see com-) + formare "to form" (see form (v.)).
Sense of "to comply with the usages of the Church of England" is from 1610s; hence conformist (1630s), opposed to non-conformist or dissenter. Related: Conformance; conformed; conforming.