[kuh n-trib-yuh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee]
- pertaining to or of the nature of contribution; contributing.
- furnishing something toward a result: a contributory factor.
- of, relating to, or constituting an insurance or pension plan the premiums of which are paid partly by an employer and partly by employees.
- subject to contribution or levy.
- a person or thing that contributes.
Origin of contributory
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. accessory, ancillary.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- denoting an insurance or pension scheme for employees, the premiums of which are paid entirely by the employer
- (of a state benefit) not dependent on national insurance contributions
- not providing contribution; noncontributing
- (often foll by to) sharing in or being partly responsible (for the cause of something)a contributory factor
- giving or donating to a common purpose or fund
- of, relating to, or designating an insurance or pension scheme in which the premiums are paid partly by the employer and partly by the employees who benefit from it
- liable or subject to a tax or levy
- a person or thing that contributes
- company law a member or former member of a company liable to contribute to the assets on the winding-up of the company
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012