[ol-fak-tuh-ree, -tree, ohl-]
- of or relating to the sense of smell: olfactory organs.
- Usually olfactories. an olfactory organ.
- olfactory nerve.
Origin of olfactory
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of or relating to the sense of smell
- (usually plural) an organ or nerve concerned with the sense of smell
C17: from Latin olfactus, past participle of olfacere, from olere to smell + facere to make
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for nonolfactory
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or contributing to the sense of smell.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Relating to or involving the organs or sense of smell.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A descriptive term for the sense of smell.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.