- having due proportion; corresponding.
- being in or characterized by proportion.
- of, relating to, or based on proportion; relative.
- (of two quantities) having the same or a constant ratio or relation: The quantities y and x are proportional if y/x = k, where k is the constant of proportionality.
- (of a first quantity with respect to a second quantity) a constant multiple of: The quantity y is proportional to x if y = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality.
Origin of proportional
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. harmonious, comparative, accordant, consonant, proportionate.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, involving, or being in proportion
- maths having or related by a constant ratio
- maths an unknown term in a proportionin a/b = c/x, x is the fourth proportional
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for nonproportional
late 14c. (implied in proportionally), from Late Latin proportionalis "pertaining to proportions," from proportio (see proportion). Related: Proportionally.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper