- a plunge of an aircraft with the forward part pointing downward.
- a sudden sharp drop or rapid decline: a time when market values were in a nosedive.
- to go into a nosedive: a warning that prices might nosedive.
Origin of nosedive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a sudden plunge with the nose or front pointing downwards, esp of an aircraft
- informal a sudden drop or sharp declineprices took a nose dive
- to perform or cause to perform a nose dive
- (intr) informal to drop suddenly
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012