- eating both animal and plant foods.
- eating all kinds of foods indiscriminately.
- taking in everything, as with the mind: an omnivorous reader.
Origin of omnivorous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for omnivorousness
- eating food of both animal and vegetable origin, or any type of food indiscriminately
- taking in or assimilating everything, esp with the mind
C17: from Latin omnivorus all-devouring, from omni- + vorāre to eat greedily
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for omnivorousness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper