- a province in S Canada, bordering on the Great Lakes. 412,582 sq. mi. (1,068,585 sq. km). Capital: Toronto.
- Lake, a lake between the NE United States and S Canada, between New York and Ontario province: the smallest of the Great Lakes. 193 miles (310 km) long; 7540 sq. mi. (19,530 sq. km).
- a city in SW California, E of Los Angeles.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ontarian
My point of departure was a little Ontarian country town of some ten thousand inhabitants—we will call it Dummer.Of Walks and Walking Tours
- a native or inhabitant of Ontario
- of or relating to Ontario or its inhabitants
- a province of central Canada: lies mostly on the Canadian Shield and contains the fertile plain of the lower Great Lakes and the St Lawrence River, one of the world's leading industrial areas; the second largest and the most populous province. Capital: Toronto. Pop: 12 392 721 (2004 est). Area: 891 198 sq km (344 092 sq miles)Abbreviation: Ont., ON
- Lake Ontario a lake between the US and Canada, bordering on New York State and Ontario province: the smallest of the Great Lakes; linked with Lake Erie by the Niagara River and Welland Canal; drained by the St Lawrence. Area: 19 684 sq km (7600 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for ontarian
from Mohawk (Iroquoian) ontari:io "beautiful lake" or "great lake," from /-qtar-/ "lake, river." Related: Ontarian.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is in southern Ontario.
Ottawa, Canada's capital, is in southeastern Ontario.
Ontario is the most heavily industrialized, populous, and prosperous province in Canada.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.