- to take its origin or rise; begin; start; arise: The practice originated during the Middle Ages.
- (of a train, bus, or other public conveyance) to begin a scheduled run at a specified place: This train originates at Philadelphia.
- to give origin or rise to; initiate; invent: to originate a better method.
Origin of originate
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for originating
While originating from cannabis sativa, like pot, it contains only a negligible amount of THC (the psychedelic chemical in weed).Kentucky Tells Feds: Hands Off Our Hemp!
May 21, 2014
Gloria Steinem, Time, 156, no. 15, p.20: Steinem disclaimed credit for originating the feminist expression.13 Crazy, Dirty Modern Proverbs
Fred R. Shapiro
May 30, 2012
It seems the earliest known rope play was found in 17th-century drawings known as komon sarashi shibari, originating in Japan.Eight Strange Sex Fetishes
December 16, 2010
Originating in New Orleans, Creole cuisine is the result of influences from the many nationalities who settled in the city.Secrets of Creole and Cajun Food
February 17, 2010
He is the embodiment of the literary as distinguished from the originating intellect.My Contemporaries In Fiction
David Christie Murray
But they were also responsible for originating a priesthood.The Evolution of the Dragon
G. Elliot Smith
To Kentucky belongs the honor of originating the modern camp meeting.The Kentucky Ranger
Edward T. Curnick
These disputes, originating at Toulon, grew apace in Corsica.William Pitt and the Great War
John Holland Rose
It is a system of arbitrary canons, originating in pure caprice.Life and Letters of Lord Macaulay
George Otto Trevelyan
- to come or bring into being
- (intr) US and Canadian (of a bus, train, etc) to begin its journey at a specified point
Word Origin and History for originating
1650s, probably a back-formation of origination. In earliest reference it meant "to trace the origin of;" meaning "to bring into existence" is from 1650s; intransitive sense of "to come into existence" is from 1775. Related: Originated; originating.
- To bring into being; create.
- To come into being; start.