[ot-oh; German awt-oh]
- a male given name: from a Germanic word meaning “rich.”
- the Great, a.d. 912–973, king of the Germans 936–973; emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 962–973.
- a.d. 955–983, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 973–983 (son of Otto I).
- a.d. 980–1002, king of Germany 983–1002; emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 996–1002 (son of Otto II).
- c1175–1218, king of Germany 1208–15; emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 1209–15.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for otto
The Former Governor of Illinois and onetime US Senator, Otto Kerner, died of cancer in 1976.A Brief History of the Phrase 'F*ck the Police'
August 23, 2014
Otto Chan, my friend and contact in this elite world warned me in advance not to say it.Bros Love Dragon Boats
August 10, 2014
The Franks moved to Amsterdam, which they knew to be a refuge, as well as a place where Otto had connections.
Otto Frank was prescient, and he decided that for the foreseeable future Germany was not going to be a comfortable place for Jews.
By 1933, Otto and Edith Frank had two daughters: Margot, who was seven, and Anne, who was four.
Otto waited until all the children had gone, and the room was empty.
Otto and Pussy also paid several visits, armed with dainties for their favorite.
And Otto ran away barely in time to catch the groom, who was going for the hay.
She grew red and redder, just as if Otto had detected her in something mischievous.
As much as this Otto understood, accompanied by screams and sobs.
- another name for attar
- Rudolf (ˈruːdɔlf). 1869–1937, German theologian: his best-known work is The Idea of the Holy (1923)
- ?1175–1218. German king and Holy Roman Emperor (1198–1215): invaded S Italy (1210) but was later (1214) defeated by France and deposed
- called the Great. 912–73 ad, king of Germany (936–73); Holy Roman Emperor (962–73)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012