[verb out-kraws, -kros; noun out-kraws, -kros]
- to cross (animals or plants) by breeding individuals of different strains but, usually, of the same breed.
- to produce (a hybrid) by this method.
- a hybrid animal or plant so produced.
- an act of outcrossing.
Origin of outcross
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to breed (animals or plants of the same breed but different strains)
- an animal or plant produced as a result of outcrossing
- an act of outcrossing
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012