- Cricket. the part of the field farthest from the batsman.
- the outlying land of a farm.
- land not regularly tilled but normally used for pasture.Compare infield(def 3).
- an outlying region.
Origin of outfield
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for outfield
ESPN's SportsNation compiled a Derek Jeter dating diamond, and Mariah Carey and Jessica Alba were relegated to the outfield.The Captain’s Log: Derek Jeter’s Lady-Killing Past, From ‘Yeah, Jeets!’ to Gift Baskets
September 28, 2014
Does the number of stars that came out of Angels in the Outfield amaze you?Joseph Gordon-Levitt on ‘Sin City’ and Why He Considers Himself a Male Feminist
August 14, 2014
Back-to-back Derby winner Yoenis Céspedes will now suit up as an American League outfield reserve.Can Baseball’s All-Star Game Be Saved?
Peter C. Bjarkman
July 15, 2014
Just then a crack sound came from the TV and the ball rolled to the outfield wall.How Peter Worthington Taught His Grandson to Love Baseball
May 23, 2013
Read Angell, and you can practically feel the summer breeze blowing through the outfield bleachers.The 13 Best Baseball Books: From ‘The Art of Fielding’ to ‘Moneyball’
April 5, 2012
"Springer will bat to the outfield and Grant to the in," directed the captain.Rival Pitchers of Oakdale
Another kind of sacrifice-hit is a long fly to the outfield.
The trouble was in the outfield—where the trouble in such contests are sure to congregate.The Varmint
I've just been playing the outfield with a no hit pitcher in the box.Dave Dawson with the Commandos
R. Sidney Bowen
On the days hes not in the box, he can play in the outfield.Baseball Joe, Captain of the Team
- cricket the area of the field relatively far from the pitch; the deepCompare infield (def. 1)
- the area of the playing field beyond the lines connecting first, second, and third bases
- the positions of the left fielder, centre fielder, and right fielder taken collectivelyCompare infield (def. 2)
- agriculture farmland most distant from the farmstead
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for outfield
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper