- the line by which a figure or object is defined or bounded; contour.
- a drawing or sketch restricted to line without shading or modeling of form.
- a general sketch, account, or report, indicating only the main features, as of a book, subject, or project: an outline of medieval history; an outline of a speech.
- outlines, the essential features or main aspects of something under discussion: At the first meeting, we gave her only the outlines of the project.
- Printing. an ornamented type in which the outside contours of each character appear in black, with the inside left white.
- to draw the outline of, or draw in outline, as a figure or object.
- to give an outline of; sketch the main features of: On the first day, the professor just outlined the course for us.
Origin of outline
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for outlining
In 2012, Huffington Post was outlining to readers “10 Things You Can Do To Stop Street Harassment.”Street Harassment Shouldn’t Be a Crime
October 29, 2014
The book goes as far as outlining the anatomical differences between males and females.A New Book Teaches Orthodox Jews How to Consummate a Marriage
April 22, 2013
Furthermore, outlining precisely which specific Iranian steps might spur U.S. action has already, to some degree, occurred.Obama Already Has A Red Line
September 16, 2012
Obama gave a speech to Congress last September outlining a new jobs plan.Michael Tomasky: Is Barack Obama Too Weak to Win in November?
June 5, 2012
For more than 15 years, Alegria has been outlining a similar vision to the New York media.Meet the Fútbol Moms
July 18, 2011
They might have been outlining the morning's work at his office.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
The outlining and coloring of the figures is most interesting.
They did it in a sort of curve, almost as if they were outlining the top of a door.A harum-scarum schoolgirl
"Would you object to outlining your platform to me," asked Earl.The Hindered Hand
Sutton E. Griggs
The stitch is useful for single lines and for outlining solid work.Art in Needlework
Lewis F. Day
- a preliminary or schematic plan, draft, account, etc
- (usually plural) the important features of an argument, theory, work, etc
- the line by which an object or figure is or appears to be bounded
- a drawing or manner of drawing consisting only of external lines
- (as modifier)an outline map
- to draw or display the outline of
- to give the main features or general idea of
Word Origin and History for outlining
1790, "to draw in outline," from outline (n.). Meaning "to describe in general terms" is from 1855. Related: Outlined; outlining.