- prominent; conspicuous; striking: an outstanding example of courage.
- marked by superiority or distinction; excellent; distinguished: an outstanding student.
- continuing in existence; remaining unsettled, unpaid, etc.: outstanding debts.
- (of securities and the like) publicly issued and sold or in circulation.
- standing out; projecting: a stiff, outstanding fabric.
- Archaic. that resists or opposes.
Origin of outstanding
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. eminent. 3. owing, due.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- superior; excellent; distinguished
- prominent, remarkable, or striking
- still in existence; unsettled, unpaid, or unresolved
- (of shares, bonds, etc) issued and sold
- projecting or jutting upwards or outwards
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for outstandingness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper