- to pass, spend, or survive the winter: to overwinter on the Riviera.
Origin of overwinter
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (intr) to spend winter (in or at a particular place)
- (tr) to keep (animals or plants) alive through the winter
- (intr) (of an animal or plant) to remain alive throughout the winter
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for overwintering
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The persistence of an infectious agent in its vector for an extended period, as in the cooler winter months, during which the vector has no opportunity to be reinfected or to infect another host.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.