- a republic in S Central America. 28,575 sq. mi. (74,010 sq. km).
- Also called Panama City. a city in and the capital of Panama, at the Pacific end of the Panama Canal.
- Isthmus of. Formerly Isthmus of Darien. an isthmus between North and South America.
- Gulf of, the portion of the Pacific in the bend of the Isthmus of Panama.
- (sometimes lowercase) Panama hat.
Examples from the Web for panamanian
For decades, these two industrial brewers have basked in a sort of shared-monopoly over the Panamanian beer racket.House of the Witch: The Renegade Craft Brewers of Panama
November 30, 2014
It is not unheard of a second round pick to end up, as Cooke did, in Panamanian professional basketball.The LeBron James Who Wasn’t: The Story of Lenny Cooke
December 5, 2013
Shannon had been stabbed to death in the town of Golfito, near the Panamanian border.
Williams spent three weeks in a Panamanian jail before being released.
It issued a decree prohibiting all aliens from fishing in Panamanian waters.Secret Armies
John L. Spivak
Some interesting little details of Panamanian manners have been reported.The Panama Canal
J. Saxon Mills
The Panamanian is the predominant man in the interior country.Prowling about Panama
George A. Miller
The Nicaraguan and Panamanian are found to be the only practicable routes, and the details of both are fully discussed.
One significant point must be mentioned with reference to the Panamanian revolution.
- of or relating to Panama or its inhabitants
- a native or inhabitant of Panama
- a republic in Central America, occupying the Isthmus of Panama: gained independence from Spain in 1821 and joined Greater Colombia; became independent in 1903, with the immediate area around the canal forming the Canal Zone under US jurisdiction; Panama assumed sovereignty over the Canal Zone in 1979 and full control in 1999. Official language: Spanish; English is also widely spoken. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: balboa. Capital: Panama City. Pop: 3 559 408 (2013 est). Area: 75 650 sq km (29 201 sq miles)
- Isthmus of Panama an isthmus linking North and South America, between the Pacific and the Caribbean. Length: 676 km (420 miles). Width (at its narrowest point): 50 km (31 miles)Former name: Darien, Isthmus of Darien
- Gulf of Panama a wide inlet of the Pacific in Panama
Word Origin and History for panamanian
probably from an unknown Guarani word, traditionally said to mean "place of many fish." Originally the name of the settlement founded 1519 (destroyed 1671 but subsequently rebuilt). Panama hat, made from the leaves of the screw pine, attested from 1833, a misnomer, because it originally was made in Ecuador, but perhaps so called in American English because it was distributed north from Panama City. Panama red as a variety of Central American marijuana is attested from 1967.