- the 17th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
- either of the consonant sounds represented by this letter.
Origin of pe
1895–1900; < Hebrew pē, akin to peh mouth
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the 17th letter in the Hebrew alphabet (פ or, at the end of a word, ף) transliterated as p or, when final, ph
from Hebrew peh mouth
- physical education
- potential energy
- Presiding Elder
- (esp in postal addresses) Prince Edward Island (Canadian Province)
- Also: p.e printer's error
- statistics probable error
- Protestant Episcopal
- (in South Africa) Port Elizabeth
- Peru (international car registration)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for peh
1956 as an abbreviation of physical education (see physical).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper