- a device for measuring the penetrating power of x-ray or other radiations.
- a device for measuring the penetrability of a solid.
Origin of penetrometer
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- physics an instrument used to measure the penetrating power of radiation, such as X-rays
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A device for measuring penetrating power of radiation, especially x-rays.
- A device for measuring the penetrability of semisolids.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A device for measuring the penetrating power of electromagnetic radiation, especially x-rays.
- A device for measuring the denseness, compaction, or penetrability of a substance, such as soil, agricultural produce, or semisolid petroleum products. A penetrometer typically measures the resistance of the substance to penetration to a given depth by a weight-driven cone or needle of a given shape.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.