- Also called Perthshire. a historic county in central Scotland.
- a city in this county: a port on the Tay River.
- a city in and the capital of Western Australia, in SW Australia.
- a state in W Australia. 975,920 sq. mi. (2,527,635 sq. km). Capital: Perth.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for perth
You know, I met him for the first time when we were both at a literary event in Perth, Australia.Sebastian Barry, Ireland’s Greatest Living Writer, Speaks for the Voiceless
May 23, 2014
Harry will be in Sydney for just a few more hours before heading on to Perth, flying out on Sunday.Prince Harry Meets Australian PM's "Not Bad Looking" Daughters
October 5, 2013
They are, from left to right, Perth (bottom left corner), Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane.Australia's Ominously Bright Night Sky
December 10, 2012
We were living in a modest house in the city of Perth, Australia.Handcuffs, Ropes, and an Open Window: How I Escaped an Unthinkable Childhood
January 29, 2012
That is, 11 percent of men aged 90 to 95 in Perth, Australia.Hef’s Sexless Engagement
July 28, 2011
We started from Perth on the afternoon of Wednesday, the 30th of March, 1870.
Mr. Randell, the Chairman of the Perth Municipality, read an address of welcome.
I am always thankful to any person that brought me into city of Perth.
In Australia, Coolgardie had succumbed and Perth was in a panic.Spawn of the Comet
Harold Thompson Rich
Soul of my body, it is not thus that I had looked to fare when I took service at Perth.The Tavern Knight
- a city in central Scotland, in Perth and Kinross on the River Tay: capital of Scotland from the 12th century until the assassination of James I there in 1437. Pop: 43 450 (2001)
- a city in SW Australia, capital of Western Australia, on the Swan River: major industrial centre; University of Western Australia (1911). Pop: 1 176 542 (2001)
- a state of W Australia: mostly an arid undulating plateau, with the Great Sandy Desert, Gibson Desert, and Great Victoria Desert in the interior; settlement concentrated in the southwest; rich mineral resources. Capital: Perth. Pop: 1 969 046 (2003 est). Area: 2 527 636 sq km (975 920 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012