- Biology. an ameboid, multinucleate mass or sheet of cytoplasm characteristic of some stages of organisms, as of myxomycetes or slime molds.
- any parasitic protozoan of the genus Plasmodium, causing malaria in humans.
Origin of plasmodium
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for plasmodial
But however long or short the plasmodial phase continue, the time of fruit, the reproductive phase, at length arrives.The North American Slime-Moulds
Thomas H. (Thomas Huston) MacBride
The sporoplasm may be either a plasmodial mass, with numerous nuclei, or may form a certain number of uninuclear sporozoites.
- an amoeboid mass of protoplasm, containing many nuclei: a stage in the life cycle of certain organisms, esp the nonreproductive stage of the slime moulds
- any parasitic sporozoan protozoan of the genus Plasmodium, such as P. falciparum and P. vivax, which cause malaria
C19: New Latin; see plasma, -ode 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for plasmodial
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to a plasmodium or a species of the genus Plasmodium.
- A multinucleate mass of cytoplasm formed by the aggregation of a number of amoeboid cells, as that characteristic of the vegetative phase of the slime molds.
- A protozoan of the genus Plasmodium, which includes the parasites that cause malaria.
- A genus of protozoans that are parasites of the red blood cells of vertebrates and include the causative agents of malaria.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A mass of protoplasm having many cell nuclei but not divided into separate cells. It is formed by the combination of many amoeba-like cells and is characteristic of the active, feeding phase of certain slime molds.
- Any of various single-celled organisms (called protozoans) that exist as parasites in vertebrate animals, one of which causes malaria.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.