- the act of reproducing a sound or video recording, especially in order to check a recording that is newly made.
- (in a recording device) the apparatus used in producing playbacks.
- the recording so played, especially the first time it is heard or viewed after being recorded.
- the response to a suggestion, act, product, venture, etc.; feedback: The playback on the speech has been very favorable.
Origin of playback
First recorded in 1925–30; noun use of verb phrase play back
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for playback
It was one of those moments that we all watched on playback and went, “Ahhh!”Game of Thrones’ Kit Harington on Jon Snow’s Heroism and Loss in the Battle of Castle Black
June 9, 2014
Gentlemen, listen to this playback and then I'll have Dr. Forster here go on from there.Warning from the Stars
Sam Bending took the tape from the playback and returned it to his files.Damned If You Don't
Gordon Randall Garrett
I don't know what I said, if anything, and the suit recorder has no playback or eraser.Accidental Death
Doer Kweiros flipped off the playback and gazed at the unresponsive wall.
Shakily, he removed his headband and snapped the playback off.
- the act or process of reproducing a recording, esp on magnetic tape
- the part of a tape recorder serving to reproduce or used for reproducing recorded material
- (modifier) of or relating to the reproduction of signals from a recordingthe playback head of a tape recorder
- to reproduce (recorded material) on (a magnetic tape) by means of a tape recorder
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012