Try Our Apps


The Best Internet Slang


[pluh-thiz-muh-graf, -grahf] /pləˈθɪz məˌgræf, -ˌgrɑf/
a device for measuring and recording changes in the volume of the body or of a body part or organ.
Origin of plethysmograph
1870-75; < Greek plēthysm(ós) increase, multiplication (plēthý(nein) to increase, derivative of plêthos large number, crowd + -smos, variant of -mos noun suffix) + -o- + -graph; first coined in It as pletismografo
Related forms
[pluh-thiz-muh-graf-ik] /pləˌθɪz məˈgræf ɪk/ (Show IPA),
[pleth-iz-mog-ruh-fee] /ˌplɛθ ɪzˈmɒg rə fi/ (Show IPA),
noun Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2017.
Cite This Source
Examples from the Web for plethysmograph
Historical Examples
  • These instruments are the plethysmograph and the hydrosphygmograph.

    Criminal Man Gina Lombroso-Ferrero
  • I think the experimental psychologists called the thing a "plethysmograph."

    The Silent Bullet Arthur B. Reeve
British Dictionary definitions for plethysmograph


/pləˈθɪzməˌɡrɑːf; -ˌɡræf; -ˈθɪs-/
a device for measuring the fluctuations in volume of a bodily organ or part, such as those caused by variations in the amount of blood it contains
Word Origin
C19: from Greek plēthusmos enlargement + graphein to write
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Cite This Source
plethysmograph in Medicine

plethysmograph ple·thys·mo·graph (plě-thĭz'mə-grāf', plə-)
An instrument that measures variations in the size of an organ or body part on the basis of the amount of blood passing through or present in the part.

ple·thys'mo·graph'ic adj.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Cite This Source

Word of the Day

Difficulty index for plethysmograph

Few English speakers likely know this word

Word Value for plethysmograph

Scrabble Words With Friends

Nearby words for plethysmograph