- pertaining to an organic compound containing several atomic rings, usually fused.
Origin of polycyclic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for polycyclic
Pierced Roger's polycyclic screen; exposed the bare metal of Roger's walls!
That must be that polycyclic screen that Conway reported on.
- (of a molecule or compound) containing or having molecules that contain two or more closed rings of atoms
- biology having two or more rings or whorlspolycyclic shells; a polycyclic stele
- a polycyclic compoundanthracene is a polycyclic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Having two or more atomic rings in a molecule. Steroids are polycyclic compounds.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.