[trahy-den-tin, -tahyn, -teen]
- of or relating to the city of Trent.
- of or relating to the Council of Trent.
- conforming to the decrees and doctrines of the Council of Trent.
Origin of Tridentine
1555–65; < Medieval Latin Tridentīnus, adj. use of Latin Tridentīnus area of the Rhaetian Alps around Tridentum; see -ine1
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for post-tridentine
Protestants can as little bear its Ante-nicene as its Post-tridentine period.An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine
John Henry Cardinal Newman
- of or relating to the Council of Trent
- in accord with Tridentine doctrine
- an orthodox Roman Catholic
C16: from Medieval Latin Tridentīnus, from Tridentum Trent
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012