- growing to manhood or womanhood; youthful.
- having the characteristics of adolescence or of an adolescent.
- an adolescent person.
Origin of adolescent
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- of or relating to adolescence
- informal behaving in an immature way; puerile
- an adolescent person
Word Origin and History for postadolescent
1785, from Latin adolescentem (nominative adolescens) "growing, near maturity, youthful," present participle of adolescere "grow up, come to maturity, ripen" (see adolescent (n.)).
mid-15c., "youth, young man," from Middle French adolescent (15c.) or directly from Latin adolescentem (nominative adolescens) "growing, near maturity, youthful," present participle of adolescere "grow up, come to maturity, ripen," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + alescere "be nourished," hence, "increase, grow up," inchoative of alere "to nourish" (see old). Adolesce was a back-formed verb used early 20c. by H.G. Wells, G.B. Shaw, Louis MacNeice, but it seems not to have taken.
- Of, relating to, or undergoing adolescence.
- A young person who has undergone puberty but who has not reached full maturity; a teenager.