- to cause to be potent; make powerful.
- to increase the effectiveness of; intensify.
Origin of potentiate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to cause to be potent
- med to increase (the individual action or effectiveness) of two drugs by administering them in combination with each other
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for potentiator
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To make potent or powerful.
- To enhance or increase the effect of a drug.
- To promote or strengthen a biochemical or physiological action or effect.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.