- to express in precise form; state definitely or systematically: He finds it extremely difficult to formulate his new theory.
- to devise or develop, as a method, system, etc.
- to reduce to or express in a formula.
Origin of formulate
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. articulate, frame, compose, define, specify.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to put into or express in systematic terms; express in or as if in a formula
- to devise
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for preformulation
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper