- the fold of skin that covers the head of the penis; foreskin.
- a similar covering of the clitoris.
Origin of prepuce
1350–1400; Middle English < Middle French < Latin praepūtium
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for preputial
Here we have suggestions of a preventive to onanism, and a cure to male impotence when due to preputial interference.
They show the variety, extent, and far-reaching character of the diseases induced by any preputial irritation.
He had been in the habit of washing out the preputial cavity by the aid of a flat-nozzled syringe.
Hare lays great stress on the necessity of circumcision wherever there is an indication of preputial local irritation.
Preputial calculus (calculus in the sheath, or bilocular cavity).Special Report on Diseases of the Horse
United States Department of Agriculture
- the retractable fold of skin covering the tip of the penisNontechnical name: foreskin
- a similar fold of skin covering the tip of the clitoris
C14: from Latin praepūtium
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for preputial
c.1400, from Old French prepuce, from Latin praeputium "foreskin," possibly from præ- "before" (see pre-) + *putos "penis." Earlier in English as prepucy (late 14c.), directly from Latin.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to the glans penis and the prepuce.
frenulum of prepuce
- A fold of mucous membrane passing from the underside of the glans penis to the deep surface of the prepuce.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.