- a native or inhabitant of Africa.
- (loosely) a black or other person of African ancestry.
Origin of African
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- denoting or relating to Africa or any of its peoples, languages, nations, etc
- a native, inhabitant, or citizen of any of the countries of Africa
- a member or descendant of any of the peoples of Africa, esp a Black person
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for pro-african
Old English Africanas (plural), from Latin Africanus (adj.), from Africa (see Africa). Used of white residents of Africa from 1815; of black residents of the U.S. from 1790. As an adjective, by 1560s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper