- having due proportion; corresponding.
- being in or characterized by proportion.
- of, relating to, or based on proportion; relative.
- (of two quantities) having the same or a constant ratio or relation: The quantities y and x are proportional if y/x = k, where k is the constant of proportionality.
- (of a first quantity with respect to a second quantity) a constant multiple of: The quantity y is proportional to x if y = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality.
Origin of proportional
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for proportionally
Their surfaces are a froth of magnetic storms, proportionally more violent than the worst weather on the Sun.The Exoplanet That Wasn’t There
Matthew R. Francis
July 6, 2014
Meager as it was, that 2-cent mechanical rate of 1914 proportionally dwarfs the 9.1 cents per physical copy paid today.Van Dyke Parks on How Songwriters Are Getting Screwed in the Digital Age
Van Dyke Parks
June 4, 2014
They're both inexplicably wealthy and powerful, with beautiful girlfriends and proportionally smug attitudes.Justin Bieber is the Joffrey Baratheon of Our Time
March 25, 2014
My military assured me that we could act today, tomorrow, a month from now, that we could do so proportionally, but meaningfully.Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and Their Craven and Brazen Hypocrisy on Syria
September 9, 2013
Vermont proportionally allocates its delegates but only to candidates who get at least 20 percent of the vote.Massachusetts and Vermont Loom Large on Super Tuesday
March 3, 2012
In respect to population, the increase is proportionally great.
Victory had inclined to the side of Mascarin, and he was proportionally jubilant.Caught In The Net
This was more than the other families in the mission had proportionally.Mary and I
Stephen Return Riggs
The abdomen is proportionally longer than in tenebrosus (fig. 213).The Common Spiders of the United States
James Henry Emerton
The losses are proportionally large if there is miscalculation of demand.The Principles of Economics
Frank A. Fetter
- of, involving, or being in proportion
- maths having or related by a constant ratio
- maths an unknown term in a proportionin a/b = c/x, x is the fourth proportional
Word Origin and History for proportionally
late 14c. (implied in proportionally), from Late Latin proportionalis "pertaining to proportions," from proportio (see proportion). Related: Proportionally.