- conformity to established standards of good or proper behavior or manners.
- appropriateness to the purpose or circumstances; suitability.
- rightness or justness.
- the proprieties, the conventional standards of proper behavior; manners: to observe the proprieties.
- Obsolete. a property.
- Obsolete. a peculiarity or characteristic of something.
Origin of propriety
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- the quality or state of being appropriate or fitting
- conformity to the prevailing standard of behaviour, speech, etc
- the proprieties (plural) the standards of behaviour considered correct by polite society
Word Origin and History for propriety's
mid-15c., "proper character, disposition," from Old French proprieté "individuality, peculiarity; property" (12c.), from Latin proprietatem (nominative proprietas) "appropriateness," also "ownership" (see property). Meaning "fitness, appropriateness" is attested from 1610s; sense of "conformity to good manners" is from 1782.