- to finish with an ornamental border.
- to decorate (a shrine or tabernacle) with architectural forms in miniature.
- Also called pur·fling. an ornamental border, as the inlaid border near the outer edge of the table and back of a stringed instrument.
Origin of purfle
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a ruffled or curved ornamental band, as on clothing, furniture, etc
- (tr) to decorate with such a band or bands
C14: from Old French purfiler to decorate with a border, from filer to spin, from fil thread, from Latin fīlum
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012