- a quadrangle, as on a college campus.
Origin of quad1
- Also called quadrat. a piece of type metal of less height than the lettered types, serving to cause a blank in printed matter, used for spacing.
- to space out (matter) by means of quads.
Origin of quad2
- a quadruplet.
Origin of quad3
- quadraphonic sound, or an electronic system for reproducing it: The recording sounded best in quad.
Origin of quad4
- designating or comprising four persons or things: rates for quad occupancy; a quad-level house.
- Informal. quadruple occupancy: Rates are based on quad.
Origin of quad5
- quadriplegic: a special ward for quads.
Origin of quad6
- quadriceps muscles.
Origin of quads
Examples from the Web for quad
After recuperating a bit, they might hit the climbing wall or the quad for some Frisbee golf.College Kids Should Major in Leisure
May 23, 2014
Not because a quad along a Southern highway is an uncommon sight but because this woman also had a baby in her lap.A History of American Fun
February 9, 2014
In Russian cities, buildings are arranged in a quad, and all life happens on the inside, with eyes of windows watching over you.How I Write: Elena Gorokhova
August 2, 2012
So here is some advice, addressed directly to those wretched of the quad, on how they can be really effective.What Occupy Harvard Should Tell Liberal Elite Parents on Thanksgiving
November 20, 2011
It's playing at the Quad in New York City and the Sunset Five in West Hollywood.The Studio 54 of Sex
April 7, 2009
Shut up, and hold your row, unless you want to be chucked out of the Quad.Follow My leader
Talbot Baines Reed
I bolted lunch with Pellams at his house and came back to the Quad.Stanford Stories
Charles K. Field
"The men are making a terrible riot in quad," he said, answering the other's remark.The Mark Of Cain
A 2-em quad is two "ems" in width, and a 3-em quad three "ems" in width.The Boy Craftsman
A. Neely Hall
He lounged around the quad till the doors of the hall were opened.Blood Royal
- short for quadrangle (def. 2)
- printing a block of type metal used for spacing
- a variant spelling of quod
- short for quadruplet (def. 1)
- short for quadraphonic or quadraphonicsSee quadraphonic
- anatomy short for quadriceps
Word Origin and History for quad
1820 as a shortening of quadrangle (n.) in the building sense (in this case "quadrangle of a college," Oxford student slang); 1880 as short for quadrat (n.); 1896 as quadruplet (n.), originally "bicycle for four riders;" later "one of four young at a single birth" (1951, of armadillos); 1970 as quadraphonic (adj.). Related: Quads.