- to place in proper, desired, or convenient order; adjust properly: to arrange books on a shelf.
- to come to an agreement or understanding regarding: The two sides arranged the sale of the property.
- to prepare or plan: to arrange the details of a meeting.
- Music. to adapt (a composition) for a particular style of performance by voices or instruments.
- to make plans or preparations: They arranged for a conference on Wednesday.
- to make a settlement; come to an agreement: to arrange with the coal company for regular deliveries.
Origin of arrange
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for re-arrange
Last fall, Sarah Palin tried to re-arrange the familiar verses.A Short History of American Rage
March 17, 2009
Re-arrange this picture so as to get a rustic group out of it.
Who will mate them, and re-arrange their inharmonious combinings?Dawn
Mrs. Harriet A. Adams
Anne entered, and sat down to recover her breath, and re-arrange her thoughts.Merkland
Read that letter carefully while I re-arrange my hair, and then I will tell you what you are to do.The White Rose of Memphis
William C. Falkner
Our mails are none too prompt, and so I have been unable to re-arrange my plans.The Man From Glengarry
- (tr) to put into a proper, systematic, or decorative order
- (tr; may take a clause as object or an infinitive) to arrive at an agreement or understanding about; settle
- (when intr, often foll by for; when tr, may take a clause as object or an infinitive ) to make plans or preparations in advance (for something)we arranged for her to be met
- (tr) to adapt (a musical composition) for performance in a different way, esp on different instruments
- (tr) to adapt (a play, etc) for broadcasting
- (intr often foll by with) to come to an agreement
Word Origin and History for re-arrange
A rare word until the meaning generalized to "to place things in order" c.1780-1800. Musical sense of "adapt for other instruments or voices" is from 1808. Related: Arranged; arranging. Arranged marriage attested from 1854.