- to consider or examine by argument, comment, etc.; talk over or write about, especially to explore solutions; debate: to discuss the proposed law on taxes.
- Civil Law.
- to collect a debt from (the person primarily liable) before proceeding against the person secondarily liable.
- to execute against the movable property of (a debtor) before proceeding against the debtor's immovable property, as land.
- Rare. to consume (food or drink) enthusiastically.
- Obsolete. to make known; reveal.
Origin of discuss
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- to have a conversation about; consider by talking over; debate
- to treat (a subject) in speech or writingthe first three volumes discuss basic principles
- facetious, rare to eat or drink with enthusiasm
Word Origin and History for re-discuss
mid-14c., "to examine, investigate," from Latin discuss-, past participle stem of discutere "to dash to pieces, agitate," in Late Latin and Vulgar Latin also "to discuss, investigate" (see discussion). Meaning "examine by argument, debate" is from mid-15c. Related: Discussed; discussing.