- to determine by calculation; reckon; calculate: to compute the period of Jupiter's revolution.
- to determine by using a computer or calculator.
- to reckon; calculate.
- to use a computer or calculator.
- Informal. to make sense; add up: His reasons for doing that just don't compute.
- computation: outer space that is vast beyond compute.
Origin of compute
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. estimate, count, figure.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for recomputed
The work was recomputed and reobserved by P. von Musschenbroek in 1729.
By that time he had computed and recomputed his orbit to Venus a hundred different times.Starman's Quest
- to calculate (an answer, result, etc), often with the aid of a computer
- calculation; computation (esp in the phrase beyond compute)
C17: from Latin computāre, from putāre to think
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for recomputed
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper