- to acquire by force of arms; win in war: to conquer a foreign land.
- to overcome by force; subdue: to conquer an enemy.
- to gain, win, or obtain by effort, personal appeal, etc.: conquer the hearts of his audience.
- to gain a victory over; surmount; master; overcome: to conquer disease and poverty; to conquer one's fear.
- to be victorious; make conquests; gain the victory: Despite their differences, their love will conquer.
Origin of conquer
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. vanquish, overpower, overthrow, subjugate.
2. See defeat.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for reconquer
The reply was, “If all the Europeans save one are slain, that one will remain to fight and reconquer.”Self-Help
He has a force of only 1100 men, but in his hands it is sufficient to reconquer France.From Pole to Pole
Sven Anders Hedin
I'm restless because of ambition; I want to reconquer an independent position.The Island Pharisees
And that Sweyn will aid him to reconquer England for the Dane.Harold, Complete
Is that the way they mean to reconquer Venice by dint of arms?The Short Works of George Meredith
- to overcome (an enemy, army, etc); defeat
- to overcome (an obstacle, feeling, desire, etc); surmount
- (tr) to gain possession or control of by or as if by force or war; win
- (tr) to gain the love, sympathy, etc, of (someone) by seduction or force of personality
C13: from Old French conquerre, from Vulgar Latin conquērere (unattested) to obtain, from Latin conquīrere to search for, collect, from quaerere to seek
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for reconquer
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with reconquer
see divide and conquer.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.