- See under chokeberry(def 1).
- the berrylike fruit of any North American shrub of the genus Aronia, of the rose family, especially A. arbutifolia (red chokeberry), A. melanocarpa (black chokeberry), or A. prunifolia (purple chokeberry).
- the plant that bears this fruit.
Origin of chokeberry
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of various North American rosaceous shrubs of the genus Aronia
- the red or purple bitter fruit of any of these shrubs
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012