- any of several firs, as Abies magnifica, of the western U.S., having a reddish bark.
- the light, soft wood of these trees.
- Douglas fir.
Origin of red fir
First recorded in 1835–45
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a North American coniferous tree, Abies magnifica, having reddish wood valued as timber: family Pinaceae
- any of various other pinaceous trees that have reddish wood
- the wood of any of these trees
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012