- the belief that the soul, upon death of the body, comes back to earth in another body or form.
- rebirth of the soul in a new body.
- a new incarnation or embodiment, as of a person.
Origin of reincarnation
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for reincarnation
Yes, he has declared himself to be a reincarnation of Kabir.Is India’s Fallen ‘God-Man’ So Different From a Megachurch Pastor?
November 21, 2014
There is a notion of reincarnation; namely, that our children are really returning ancestors.Joseph Campbell on the Roots of Halloween
October 31, 2014
“Russia Today it is the reincarnation of the international,” he said.The Bolshevik Who Thinks ‘The Nation’ Is Too Left Wing
October 26, 2014
Luqman and Khader said that within the religion there are also seven angels and a belief in reincarnation.Fighting Back With Faith: Inside the Yezidis’ Iraqi Temple
August 21, 2014
Janis Joplin (who did not make the final cut) once said she thought of herself as the reincarnation of Smith.The 100 Coolest Americans Gather at the National Portrait Gallery
February 7, 2014
Just suppose your friend is a reincarnation of Antony without an 'H'?It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
I cannot brush aside the problem by a facile reference to reincarnation.
This is not at all a fair representation of the theory of reincarnation, I shall be told.
"I still believe in reincarnation," D'Ambrosia Zahooli says.Operation Earthworm
Would not that also disprove the whole theory of reincarnation if it is true?
- the belief that on the death of the body the soul transmigrates to or is born again in another body
- the incarnation or embodiment of a soul in a new body after it has left the old one at physical death
- embodiment again in a new form, as of a principle or idea
Word Origin and History for reincarnation
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.