- directed to the past; contemplative of past situations, events, etc.
- looking or directed backward.
- retroactive, as a statute.
- an art exhibit showing an entire phase or representative examples of an artist's lifework.
- any exhibition or series of showings or performances, as of musical works or motion pictures, representing the work of an artist or performer over all or a major part of a career: a retrospective of John Ford's movies.
Origin of retrospective
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for retrospective
In 1980, a retrospective of the artist at the Museum of Modern Art in New York captivated Hockney.The Many Lives of Artist David Hockney
November 23, 2014
To celebrate a retrospective box set, entitled Nothing Has Changed, Bowie has released a video for one of two new songs included.David Bowie Goes Big Band in New Music Video
Alex Chancey, The Daily Beast Video
November 14, 2014
“When Tibor died we did a retrospective of MCo., and the lamp was the last thing you saw,” she says.The Singular Artist of New Yorkistan
November 14, 2014
Frank Gehry is enjoying a major moment: his retrospective is in full swing in Paris and his latest creation opens today.Frank Gehry Is Architecture’s Mad Genius
October 27, 2014
So what better way to craft that reminder than with a retrospective of famous, dead figures who defined Ukrainian identity?The Ukrainian Face Collector Launches an Exhibition in Kiev
August 21, 2014
He looked out to sea with a meditative and retrospective mind.Nell, of Shorne Mills
A historical interest may be not only retrospective but contemporary.Parodies of Ballad Criticism (1711-1787)
"That's a fact," answered Amos to the retrospective musings of the Judge.The Arena
What a painful reverse may not the retrospective view afford!The English Spy
How do the deeds of ill Throng round the retrospective glance!A Leaf from the Old Forest
J. D. Cossar
- looking or directed backwards, esp in time; characterized by retrospection
- applying to the past; retroactive
- an exhibition of an artist's life's work or a representative selection of it
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for retrospective
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper