[re-truh-vur-zhuh n, -shuh n]
- a looking or turning back.
- the resulting state or condition.
- Pathology. a tilting or turning backward of an organ or part: retroversion of the uterus.
Origin of retroversion
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for retroversion
He says we've ta'en a lower form, and calls it "retroversion."
If retroversion or retroflexion be present, then the posterior lip should be fixed.
There are three kinds of displacements: anteversion, retroversion, and prolapsus.
Retroversion:—Place the patient with face downward on bed or mat and with a small pillow under the lower part of the abdomen.
Exercises for anteversion and retroversion supplied by a successful teacher of such work.
- the act of turning or condition of being turned backwards
- the condition of a part or organ, esp the uterus, that is turned or tilted backwards
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for retroversion
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A turning or tilting backward, as of the uterus.
- The state of being turned or tilted back.
- A condition in which the teeth are located in a position posterior to normal.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.