- to sell as one's business or occupation, especially by peddling: to vend flowers at a sidewalk stand.
- to give utterance to (opinions, ideas, etc.); publish.
- to engage in the sale of merchandise.
- to be disposed of by sale.
Origin of vend
1610–20; < Latin vendere to sell, contraction of vēnum (or vēnō) dare to offer for sale; see venal
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to sell or be sold
- to sell (goods) for a living
- (tr) rare to utter or publish (an opinion, etc)
C17: from Latin vendere, contraction of vēnum dare to offer for sale
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for revend
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper