- any arrangement, part, object, or formation more or less resembling a rose.
- a rose-shaped arrangement of ribbon or other material, used as an ornament or badge.
- Also rosace. an architectural ornament resembling a rose or having a generally circular combination of parts.
- Botany. a circular cluster of leaves or other organs.
- a broad ornamental head for a screw or nail.
- any of a number of disks of refined copper formed when cold water is thrown onto the molten metal.
- a rounded microconstituent of certain alloys.
- Plant Pathology. any of several diseases of plants, characterized by the crowding of the foliage into circular clusters owing to a shortening of the internodes of stems or branches, caused by fungi, viruses, or nutritional deficiencies.
- one of the compound spots on a leopard.
Origin of rosette
- a female given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for rosette
Mary-'Gusta was not playing with Rose and Rosette at the present time.
She was down again shortly, the two favorites, Rose and Rosette, in her arms.
Sew a pompon or a rosette of yarn over the top of the sewing stitch.Spool Knitting</p>
Mary A. McCormack
The ends of the match were crossed into a sort of rosette at the head of the fuze.Artillery Through the Ages
Do wear it, Miss Arbuckle, with a rosette, to indicate your superior rank.Down the Rhine
- a decoration or pattern resembling a rose, esp an arrangement of ribbons or strips formed into a rose-shaped design and worn as a badge or presented as a prize
- another name for rose window
- a rose-shaped patch of colour, such as one of the clusters of spots marking a leopard's fur
- botany a circular cluster of leaves growing from the base of a stem
- any of various plant diseases characterized by abnormal leaf growth
C18: from Old French: a little rose 1
Word Origin and History for rosette
"a rose-shaped ornament," especially a bunch or knot of ribbons worn as a decoration, 1790, from French rosette, diminutive of rose "rose" (see rose (n.1)).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The segmented or mature phase of Plasmodium malariae.
- A grouping of cells characteristic of neoplasms of neuroblastic or neuroectodermal origin, in which a number of nuclei form a ring from which neurofibrils extend to interlace in the center.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.