- Saint, pope a.d. 140–155?.
- SaintMichele Ghislieri, 1504–72, Italian ecclesiastic: pope 1566–72.
- SaintGiuseppe Sarto, 1835–1914, Italian ecclesiastic: pope 1903–14.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Saint. original name Michele Ghislieri. 1504–72, Italian ecclesiastic; pope (1566–72). He attempted to enforce the reforms decreed by the Council of Trent, excommunicated Elizabeth I of England (1570), and organized the alliance that defeated the Turks at Lepanto (1571). Feast day: 30 April
- Saint. original name Giuseppe Sarto. 1835–1914, Italian ecclesiastic; pope (1903–14). He condemned Modernism (1907) and initiated a new codification of canon law. Feast day: Aug 21