- a code of laws of the Salian Franks and other Germanic tribes, especially a provision in this code excluding females from the inheritance of land.
- the alleged fundamental law of the French monarchy by which females were excluded from succession to the crown.
- any law to the same effect.
Origin of Salic law
First recorded in 1540–50
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the code of laws of the Salic Franks and other Germanic tribes
- a law within this code excluding females from inheritance
- a law excluding women from succession to the throne in certain countries, such as France and Spain
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012