- a city in and the capital of the Republic of Yemen, in SW Arabia.
mens sana in corpore sano
- a sound mind in a sound body.
- Republic of, a country in S Arabia, formed in 1990 by the merger of the Yemen Arab Republic and the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen. 207,000 sq. mi. (536,130 sq. km). Capital: (political) Sanʿa. Capital: (economic) Aden.
- Also called North Yemen. a former country in SW Arabia: since 1990 a part of the Republic of Yemen. Capital: Sanʿa.
- Also called South Yemen. a former country in S Arabia: since 1990 a part of the Republic of Yemen. Capital: Aden.
Examples from the Web for sana
Jihadist revenge might be one reason the embassy in Sana came under attack Thursday.How Petty Criminal Nakoula Basseley Nakoula Sparked a Mideast Meltdown
September 14, 2012
The suicide bombing on Monday in Sana was the deadliest attack AQAP has ever carried out.Al Qaeda’s ‘Final Trap’ in Yemen: Costly Demise Planned for U.S.
May 27, 2012
He was apparently involved in developing explosives for an attack on the American embassy in Sana in 2008.Ibrahim al Asiri: Mysterious Yemeni Bomb Maker Targeting America
December 11, 2010
Corte, Sana, and the rest would be in Rome now, but for him.Vittoria, Complete
Niebuhr now requested permission to proceed to Sana, the capital of Yemen.
I will close the window, because I am not very well (sana) today.A Complete Grammar of Esperanto
Ivy Kellerman Reed
The Turks, however, now occupy Sana, and the office of Imam is in abeyance.The Future of Islam
Wilfred Scawen Blunt
Two leagues northward from Sana is a plain named Rodda, which is overspread with gardens and watered by a number of rivulets.
- a republic in SW Arabia, on the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden: formed in 1990 from the union of North Yemen and South Yemen: consists of arid coastal lowlands, rising to fertile upland valleys and mountains in the west and to the Hadhramaut plateau in the SE: the north and east contains part of the Great Sandy Desert. Official language: Arabic. Official religion: Muslim. Currency: riyal. Capital: San`a. Pop: 25 408 288 (2005 est). Area (including territory claimed by Yemen along the undemarcated eastern border with Saudi Arabia): 472 099 sq km (182 278 sq miles)Official name: Yemen Republic See also North Yemen, South Yemen
Word Origin and History for sana
mens sana in corpore sano
c.1600, Latin, literally "a sound mind in a sound body," a line found in Juvenal, "Satires," x.356.
Mens sana in corpore sano is a contradiction in terms, the fantasy of a Mr. Have-your-cake-and-eat-it. No sane man can afford to dispense with debilitating pleasures; no ascetic can be considered reliably sane. Hitler was the archetype of the abstemious man. When the other krauts saw him drink water in the Beer Hall they should have known he was not to be trusted. [A.J. Liebling, "Between Meals," 1962]
southwestern region of Arabia, from Arabic Yemen, literally "the country of the south," from yaman "right side" (i.e., south side, if one is facing east). The right side regarded as auspicious, hence Arabic yamana "he was happy," literally "he went to the right," and hence the Latin name for the region in Roman times, Arabia Felix, lit, "Happy Arabia."