- inclined to skepticism; having an attitude of doubt: a skeptical young woman who will question whatever you say.
- doubtful about a particular thing: My teacher thinks I can get a scholarship, but I'm skeptical.
- showing doubt: a skeptical smile.
- denying or questioning the tenets of a religion: a skeptical approach to the nature of miracles.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to Skeptics or Skepticism.
Origin of skeptical
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. skeptic. 4. unbelieving.
1. See doubtful.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sceptical
Still, she is sceptical of attempts to take the bite out of the gender equality movement.Laurie Penny’s In-Your-Face Feminism
September 18, 2014
He had apparently been counseled by sceptical teammates that paying into the system at his advanced age would be foolish.Havana Bids Adios to Conrado Marrero, MLB’s Oldest Player
Peter C. Bjarkman
April 25, 2014
Both men were sceptical of the signal, but reacted differently.The Spy Who Saved The World—Then Tried To Destroy It
November 3, 2013
But the Wee Folk were under a cloud; sceptical hints had embittered the chalice.The Golden Age
Fear not, he replied, for your audience will not be hard upon you; they are not sceptical or hostile.The Republic
When the sceptical Sadducees and the Pharisees, sought a sign it was to try him, can he do it?Journal of a Residence at Bagdad
Polly herself, sceptical as she was, should be brought to admit that he had kept his word.Barrington
Charles James Lever
"I should rather thank you," cried Maimon, with sceptical enthusiasm.Dreamers of the Ghetto
archaic, US skeptical
- not convinced that something is true; doubtful
- tending to mistrust people, ideas, etc, in general
- of or relating to sceptics; sceptic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for sceptical
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper