- Also called skivvy shirt. a man's cotton T-shirt.
- skivvies, underwear consisting of cotton T-shirt and shorts.
- a thin sweater with a round neck, usually worn over a blouse, turtleneck, or the like.
Origin of skivvy1
First recorded in 1925–30; origin uncertain
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for scivvy
"I knew she was merely a Scivvy," remarked Taunton, when this happened.Over Here
- mainly British often derogatory a servant, esp a female, who does menial work of all kinds; drudge
- (intr) British to work as a skivvy
C20: of unknown origin
- slang, mainly US a man's T-shirt or vest
- (plural) slang, mainly US men's underwear
- Australian and NZ a garment resembling a sweater with long sleeves and a polo neck, usually made of stretch cotton or cotton and polyester and worn by either sex
of unknown origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012