- the act of consuming, as by use, decay, or destruction.
- the amount consumed: the high consumption of gasoline.
- Economics. the using up of goods and services having an exchangeable value.
- Older Use.tuberculosis of the lungs.
- progressive wasting of the body.
Origin of consumption
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- the act of consuming or the state of being consumed, esp by eating, burning, etc
- economics expenditure on goods and services for final personal use
- the quantity consumed
- pathol a condition characterized by a wasting away of the tissues of the body, esp as seen in tuberculosis of the lungs
Word Origin and History for self-consumption
late 14c., "wasting of the body by disease; wasting disease" (replacing Old English yfeladl "the evil disease"), from Old French consumpcion, from Latin consumptionem (nominative consumptio) "a using up, wasting," noun of state from past participle stem of consumere (see consume). Meaning "the using up of material" is 1530s.
- The act or process of using up something.
- A progressive wasting of body tissue.
- Pulmonary tuberculosis. No longer in technical use.