- the act or manner of managing; handling, direction, or control.
- skill in managing; executive ability: great management and tact.
- the person or persons controlling and directing the affairs of a business, institution, etc.: The store is under new management.
- executives collectively, considered as a class (distinguished from labor).
Origin of management
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. regulation, administration; superintendence, care, charge, conduct, guidance, treatment.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for self-management
Its only hope lies in a capacity for self-management, self-rule, which means self-control.The Fruits of Victory
By self-management is meant the pupil's use of his time, his abilities, his knowledge, and the like.The Psychology of Arithmetic
Edward L. Thorndike
The fact that he was a son was of no avail to him in the "far country," in the place of self-will and self-management.Separation and Service
James Hudson Taylor
Scientific Management is applicable to self-management as well as to managing others.The Psychology of Management
L. M. Gilbreth
- the members of the executive or administration of an organization or businessSee also line management, middle management, top management
- managers or employers collectively
- the technique, practice, or science of managing, controlling or dealing withanger management
- the skilful or resourceful use of materials, time, etc
- the specific treatment of a disease, disorder, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for self-management
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The body of individuals who run major businesses, usually without owning them but often with the reward of stock options.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.